CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Ugh!

Why is it that we work so hard all week long and then have to spend the weekend working at home?! Oh and long weekends like this one just means you have an extra day to get more done. Don't get the wrong idea, I love to keep up the house and yard. I gain real satisfaction in knowing that everything is just how it should be, and looks appealing to all who arrive. However, after some long hard consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I am not cut out for this double/triple/quadruple duty stuff. I am TIRED by the time the weekend arrives and I always bring home school work to boot. And of course you can't leave out the constant drama of life with an ex-husband, an eighteen year old daughter, and the general belligerence of a seven year old. It's hard to find time to get everything done and lately I'm so exhausted that the amount of satisfaction I usually derive from completing a task is waning. I can tell you one thing, if I had known then what I know now I would have chosen a career that makes a heck of a lot more money than teaching. Lets face it, you work just as hard and the "vacations" that you get are still spent working on papers and plans-it's just the scenery that changes. With a bigger paycheck I'd be calling someone else to cook, clean, and cut the grass. Oh yea, and buying fashionable clothing that matches the current style instead of the last decade.
This year I'm teaching a Sociology class for seniors and we just finished discussing statuses, roles and role conflict/strain. This concept was a breeze for them to grasp - I'm a living, breathing example.

3 comments:

KJS said...

We're all walking, running and stumbling in the same circle. The cyclicle design of life is what keeps us connected and drives us apart at the same time.

P.S. I'm not usually that indistinctly profound.

Mrs. D said...

I can relate too well! But of course, you already know that. In fact, I was one of the interviewees for that project, and as I told HB all that I do, I got more and more frustrated. Besides always having to panic about money problems--you know that sense of dread that comes over you when either you or your car gets sick--I am also tired of feeling taken for granted. That is what hurts most of all. If I know I am appreciated, I would walk to Egypt and back with a merry heart, but that is usually not the case, is it?

Nope. So, I will keep earning those crowns in Heaven, and while here on earth, I will keep praying that my car never needs new tires or my health never needs tending to.

His,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

After I read this blog and what Jennifer posted in response, I would like to say: Happy Teacher/Mother/Caregiver/Laborer/and so forth Appreciation Day!